What are varicose veins and spider veins?

Varicose veins are dilated veins that can occur anywhere on the body, but are commonly seen in the legs. Varicose veins often enlarge significantly during pregnancy and with each subsequent pregnancy. Pregnant women may notice varicose veins in the labia and around the buttocks. Varicose veins in men can involve the scrotum and are called varicoceles (see questions pertaining to varicoceles for more info).
Spider veins are the smallest varicose veins that affect the superficial blood vessels just beneath the skin. They are often red or blue. They may be linear, branching, or in a fan-shape. They may be few in number and involve only a small area, or they may be numerous and have a rather extensive coverage area on the skin.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

How common are abnormal leg veins?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
About 50 to 55% of American women and 40 to 45% of American men suffer from some form of vein proble...
How can I treat varicose and spider veins on my legs at home?
Dr. Ellen S. Marmur, MDDr. Ellen S. Marmur, MD
Sadly, there are no effective do-it-yourself treatments or topical potions that will diminish the ap...
Should I foam roll my varicose veins?
No, avoid foam rolling varicose veins. Foam rolling these areas causes an increase in blood pressure...
How do compression socks treat varicose veins?
Compression socks or stockings are a home remedy you can try to treat varicose veins. These are tigh...