Can varicose and spider veins return even after treatment?

Dr. Heidi A. Waldorf, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf discusses if varicose and spider veins can return, even after treatment. Watch Dr. Waldorf's video for tips and information on skin health.

Current treatments for varicose veins and spider veins have very high success rates compared to traditional surgical treatments. Over a period of years, however, more abnormal veins can develop. The major reason for this is that there is no cure for weak vein valves. So with time, pressure gradually builds up in the leg veins. Ultrasound can be used to keep track of how badly the valves are leaking (venous insufficiency). Ongoing treatment can help keep this problem under control.

The single most important thing a person can do to slow down the development of new varicose veins is to wear graduated compression support stockings as much as possible during the day.

This answer is based on source information from The National Women's Health Information Center.

No one wants to waste time or money on an ineffective treatment. In this video, vein specialist Luis Navarro, MD, discusses whether varicose and spider veins can recur after treatment.

Dr. Michelle C. Kosovec, MD
Vascular Surgeon

If you have a proper evaluation and treatment, your varicose veins should be gone for good. However, if you spend a lot of time on your feet, it’s possible that the veins can come back. If they do, they are usually not as extensive as they were the first time.

Varicose and spider veins can return after treatment; but they develop more slowly, and usually not in the same spot if they were treated successfully. In this video, cardiothoracic surgeon David Greuner, MD, explains how spider veins can return.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Are Spider Veins Anything to Worry About?
Anyone can get spider veins but they’re more likely to appear later in life and much more common among women. In fact, more than half of women will de...
How can I treat varicose and spider veins on my legs at home?
Dr. Ellen S. Marmur, MDDr. Ellen S. Marmur, MD
Sadly, there are no effective do-it-yourself treatments or topical potions that will diminish the ap...
What type of doctor will treat my varicose veins?
Your general doctor may diagnose your varicose veins and give you a recommendation to see a vascular...
Dr. Steve Elias - What Are Varicose Veins?