How can I treat varicose and spider veins on my legs at home?

Dr. Ellen S. Marmur, MD
Dermatologist (Skin Specialist)

Sadly, there are no effective do-it-yourself treatments or topical potions that will diminish the appearance of varicose or spider veins that are already present. Elevating your legs when you're at home can help, but it's no antidote. Wearing support socks or stockings can help as well.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Simple methods to treat varicose veins are compression stockings, a good diet and plenty of exercise. You should also avoid long periods of either sitting or standing to help reduce your symptoms. You can find one-size-fits-all compression stockings at your local drug store, however your doctor can also give you a prescription for a more specific type.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Ways to Avoid and Manage Varicose Veins
Ways to Avoid and Manage Varicose Veins
On an episode of Friends, the gang arrives late to Monica and Chandler’s for dinner. “I bet that vein on Monica’s forehead is popping like crazy,” say...
Are varicose veins and spider veins painful or dangerous?
Lakeview Regional Medical CenterLakeview Regional Medical Center
They can be achy or painful, or cause a burning sensation. Because they are symptoms of an underlyin...
What are varicose veins?
Dr. Michael L. Schwartz, MDDr. Michael L. Schwartz, MD
Varicose veins are abnormal, dilated veins. Varicose veins usually develop in the legs.
Can Spider and Varicose Veins Return Even After Treatment?