Should I see a doctor about varicose veins?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Yes, you should talk to your doctor about varicose veins if they are painful or appear to be worsening. Your doctor may be able to recommend a home remedy or other treatment that will help improve the varicose veins. You may also want to talk to your doctor if you are uncomfortable with how the varicose veins look.

Varicose veins can cause achy throbbing pain in one or both legs. The pain is worsened with prolonged standing and improved by lying down and elevating your feet.

Has the varicose vein become swollen, red or very tender or warm to the touch?

• If yes, see your doctor.
  • If no, are there sores or a rash on the leg or near the ankle with the varicose vein, is the skin appearing thicker on the calf or the ankle, or do you think there may be circulation problems in your feet?
    • If yes, see your doctor.
    • If no, are the varicose veins causing you distress, or interfering with daily activities?
      • If yes, see your doctor.
      • If no, continue to follow the self-care tips above.

This answer from the National Women's Health Information Center has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Ways to Avoid and Manage Varicose Veins
Ways to Avoid and Manage Varicose Veins
On an episode of Friends, the gang arrives late to Monica and Chandler’s for dinner. “I bet that vein on Monica’s forehead is popping like crazy,” say...
What type of doctor will treat my varicose veins?
Your general doctor may diagnose your varicose veins and give you a recommendation to see a vascular...
How are spider veins treated?
Dr. Susan EvansDr. Susan Evans
Treatments for spider veins range from changes in lifestyle to injections to surgery. As far as life...
How Are Spider Veins Treated?
How Are Spider Veins Treated?