How does sclerotherapy work?

Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf explains how the sclerotherapy procedure works to remove varicose and spider veins. Watch Dr. Waldorf's video for tips and information on skin health.

Sclerotherapy is a simple procedure during which doctors remove small varicose veins. Doctors inject a concentrated saline or other solution into the varicose vein, which irritates the lining of the vein and causes it to close up or collapse. Healthy blood vessels nearby absorb the blood flow of the collapsed vein. Patients usually wear compression stockings or elastic bandages for several days after the procedure.

Continue Learning about Spider Veins and Varicose Veins

Are Spider Veins Anything to Worry About?
Anyone can get spider veins but they’re more likely to appear later in life and much more common among women. In fact, more than half of women will de...
How can I remove the spider veins on my legs?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about spider veins.
How effective is varicose vein treatment?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Varicose vein treatment does not increase or decrease the risk of other veins becoming abnormal as y...
What Causes Spider Veins?
What Causes Spider Veins?