When should I call my doctor if I take valerian?

Call your doctor if you feel dizzy or your heartbeat becomes irregular while taking valerian. Allergic reactions to valerian are rare, but if you have difficulty breathing or if your mouth or throat start to swell, call 911.

People may take valerian for insomnia or anxiety, but you should call your doctor if these problems are chronic. There may be a medical reason, so you should get checked out. Your doctor can also help you find longer-term treatment options.

Continue Learning about Valerian

What are the health benefits of valerian?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Often called nature's tranquilizer, valerian has been used for centuries to regulate the nervous sys...
Is it possible to be allergic to valerian?
It is possible to be allergic to valerian but unlikely. There is no evidence of serious allergic...
What dosage of valerian supplement is typically used for adults?
Valerian is a perennial herb native to Europe. Extracts of valerian are made from the thickened, und...
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?