What are the health benefits of valerian?

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
Often called nature's tranquilizer, valerian has been used for centuries to regulate the nervous system and relieve insomnia, tension, irritability, stress, and anxiety. Valerian is also a natural pain reliever that reduces sensitivity of the nerves. Try a cup of valerian tea the next time you're in need of pain relief!

Valerian root has been around for ages and was originally used to help induce sleep; in lower dosages, valerian is also a natural remedy for anxiety. Watch integrative medicine expert Tasneem Bhatia, MD, discuss the healthy benefits of valerian root.

Continue Learning about Valerian

Should I let my doctor know I am taking valerian?
If you are planning on taking valerian, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should alwa...
Is valerian regulated by the FDA?
Valerian is considered a dietary supplement in the United States, so the Food and Drug Administr...
How soon after taking valerian might my insomnia improve?
If you are taking valerian to help you sleep, you may need to take it for several days, even up ...
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?