What are the health benefits of valerian?

Valerian root has been around for ages and was originally used to help induce sleep; in lower dosages, valerian is also a natural remedy for anxiety. Watch integrative medicine expert Tasneem Bhatia, MD, discuss the healthy benefits of valerian root.

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
Often called nature's tranquilizer, valerian has been used for centuries to regulate the nervous system and relieve insomnia, tension, irritability, stress, and anxiety. Valerian is also a natural pain reliever that reduces sensitivity of the nerves. Try a cup of valerian tea the next time you're in need of pain relief!

Continue Learning about Valerian

How soon after taking valerian might my insomnia improve?
If you are taking valerian to help you sleep, you may need to take it for several days, even up ...
When should I call my doctor if I take valerian?
Call your doctor if you feel dizzy or your heartbeat becomes irregular while taking valerian. Al...
Can valerian work as well as sleep medications?
A randomized trial among 80 healthy volunteers with no sleep problems compared a valerian syrup ...
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?