How can I be sure valerian is safe to take?

Valerian is classified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as “GRAS,” which means “generally recognized as safe.” But a manufacturer does not need to prove a valerian supplement (or any dietary supplement) is safe before selling it. It is up to the consumer to find out whether a supplement manufacturer has a reliable track record.

Continue Learning about Valerian

Is valerian regulated by the FDA?
Valerian is considered a dietary supplement in the United States, so the Food and Drug Administr...
Can valerian work as well as sleep medications?
A randomized trial among 80 healthy volunteers with no sleep problems compared a valerian syrup ...
Can valerian help me sleep better?
Evidence for improved sleep from clinical trials in humans using valerian is limited, and result...
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?