Can I travel when taking valerian?

You can travel when taking valerian, as long as you're careful about its sedative effects. Valerian is fine to take if you're traveling by plane, especially if you want to sleep, but do not take it and then drive.

Valerian is a popular supplement in the U.S. and Europe for insomnia and anxiety, though evidence that it works is inconclusive. Research finds that people who take standard doses to bring on sleep usually do not feel groggy in the morning. Depending on how it affects you, it might be possible to take it to sleep on a plane and then be able to rent a car the next morning.

Pay attention to your own reaction to valerian, however. If it makes you groggy, it may be best to take it only at home or in your hotel, before bedtime.

Continue Learning about Valerian

What dosage of valerian supplement is typically used for adults?
Valerian is a perennial herb native to Europe. Extracts of valerian are made from the thickened, und...
Can I drink alcohol when taking valerian?
You should not drink alcohol when taking valerian. Both are sedatives, so the combination may ca...
How soon after taking valerian might my insomnia improve?
If you are taking valerian to help you sleep, you may need to take it for several days, even up ...
Can Valerian Work as Well as Sleep Medications?