Why do I need the flu vaccine every year?

Flu can be a serious disease, particularly among young children, older adults and people with certain chronic health conditions such as asthma, heart disease or diabetes. Any flu infection can cause serious complications, hospitalization or death, even in otherwise healthy children and adults. Getting a yearly flu vaccine is a safer choice than risking illness.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a yearly flu vaccine for just about everyone six months and older. An annual vaccination is needed to get the best protection against the flu.

Dr. Darria Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine Specialist
The strains of flu virus are different every year. In this video, I will discuss the importance of getting a flu vaccine every year.

There are many types, or strains, of the flu virus that change over time. Each year, scientists figure out which strains of the virus are most likely to reach the United States. The vaccine companies then make a new vaccine to fight those strains of virus. The vaccine is available each Fall.

The influenza virus changes its genetic makeup every year. That's why you can get the flu every year and why a flu vaccine containing the new virus is recommended annually for everyone six months and older.

This constantly changing virus presents a particular challenge to medical science, making it impossible to create a single vaccine to prevent the disease. Instead, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) monitor each new strain of influenza virus as it appears, assessing which may be the predominant virus in the following year's flu season. Scientists use this data, collected by a surveillance network, to develop a vaccine each year against the specific virus they predict will predominate. 

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What vaccines does my older child or teen need?
Heath A. Cobb, MDHeath A. Cobb, MD
Following is the vaccine schedule for children and teens: 4 to 6 years Diphtheria, tetanus and pe...
What should I expect after a vaccine shot?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You or your child's arm may feel a little stiff and sore for a few days after a vaccine shot. Th...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?