Why is it important for my daughter to get the Gardasil vaccine?

Gardasil, which works best if given at a young age (before there's any chance of sexual activity) is aimed at girls age 9 and older.

Sex plus kids spells trouble. Yet trouble is precisely what the vaccine stops. It protects against human papilloma virus (HPV), the cause of most cervical cancer. HPV is sexually transmitted, but no one really needs intercourse to get it. That's because HPV is passed from skin to skin, not through fluids. It's everywhere. Odds are that three-quarters of people have been infected with HPV.

Out of at least 35 million doses of Gardasil, only .05% have produced what doctors call "adverse events." By far, the biggest complaint is that the shots hurt more than most vaccinations, so the main side effects have been pain, fainting and sore arms. Now, kids are kept seated for 15 minutes to be sure they don't keel over.

The National Cancer Institute calculates that if all females get the shot, and protection lasts long-term, vaccinations could cut cervical cancer deaths by two-thirds.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Who should get the Tdap vaccine?
Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis, also called Tdap, is a one-time vaccine given in lieu of a s...
What are some chemical additives in vaccines?
Vaccines contain chemicals for three main reasons: to inactivate a virus or bacteria, to reduce ...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?