Why should I exercise before I get the flu shot?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Some recent research suggests that if you exercise the body part receiving the flu vaccine -- generally the shoulder -- you can increase blood flow to the site, and, as a result, enhance your response to the vaccine. In essence, you wind up making more antibodies, which should translate into better protection against the flu.

The idea is to exercise before you get the flu shot, so the site is “primed.” This exercise can be some calisthenics or a vigorous work around the house. If you feel that burn in your shoulder, it means you’ve stressed the muscle enough to get the potential benefit of enhanced protection against the flu.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
When should my child get a flu vaccine?
If your child is at risk of contracting influenza either because you or his caregivers are, or he is...
Who should get the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
Pertussis (whooping cough) vaccines are recommended for children, adolescents, and adults, including...
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?