Which adults need the mumps, measles, and rubella (MMR) vaccination?

Anyone born during or after 1957 who has not had measles or been vaccinated is at risk and should get at least one dose of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine. Two doses are recommended for adults who are at higher risk, such as college students, international travelers and healthcare personnel.

If you were born after 1956 and do not know for sure if you were vaccinated for mumps, measles and rubella (MMR), you should probably get an MMR immunization. Check with your doctor. Even if you know you've had one, if you work in settings where large groups of individuals (particularly young adults) congregate, such as schools and universities, you might want to consider getting a second one. If you were born before 1956 and never received an MMR vaccination, do not worry, as virtually everyone born before 1956 would have been exposed to these diseases and would have built up a natural immunity. The MMR vaccine is one of the safest and most effective vaccines we have, with an effectiveness of well over 90 percent.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What are the side effects of the influenza vaccine?
Side effects of the influenza vaccine include: muscle aches, low fever, headaches and fatigue. If yo...
How can I prepare my child for a vaccination shot?
Make sure your child is in good health, is hydrated with water before vaccination, and is not receiv...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?