What should I know about DTP?

You should know that DTP, also known as diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and pertussis vaccine absorbed USP, is no longer administered in the United States. Instead, children under the age of seven receive the DTaP vaccine which offers similar protection against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis but with less risk of side effects. You should also know that these three diseases can cause life-threatening complications if they are contracted so protecting children with the vaccine is recommended. Additionally, you should be aware that the vaccine is given in five doses spread out during the first seven years of your child's life. Children who had serious reactions to their first dose or who have a severe illness should not receive the vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What are the side effects of the influenza vaccine?
Side effects of the influenza vaccine include: muscle aches, low fever, headaches and fatigue. If yo...
Who should get the Tdap vaccine?
Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis, also called Tdap, is a one-time vaccine given in lieu of a s...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?