What are the risks of getting the Japanese encephalitis vaccine?

Risks of the Japanese encephalitis vaccine (IXIARO) include side effects and allergic reactions, although reactions are unlikely. The side effects that can occur, usually soon after getting the shot, include headache and muscle pain, as well as pain, redness or swelling at the injection site. The vaccine can also cause a high fever, nausea, skin reactions such as a rash, fatigue, flu-like symptoms or changes in behavior.

Signs of a serious allergic reaction, for which you should get immediate emergency medical help, include:
  • trouble breathing
  • hoarseness or wheezing
  • hives
  • paleness
  • weakness
  • fast heartbeat
  • dizziness

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What are some chemical additives in vaccines?
Vaccines contain chemicals for three main reasons: to inactivate a virus or bacteria, to reduce ...
Should pregnant women get the Tdap vaccine?
Pregnant women should get the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine to help protect their...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?