What should I know about an influenza vaccine before receiving it?

An influenza vaccine is administered by intramuscular injection or by nasal spray. The vaccine for injection contains dead influenza virus particles, and the vaccine for nasal administration contains attenuated, or weakened, live viruses. For this reason, the nasal spray is intended only for people two to 49 years of age who are in good health. In any one year, the influenza vaccine does not provide protection against all flu virus strains. Each year, researchers identify the influenza strains that will most likely circulate in the autumn and make the vaccine using these strains. You also should know that an influenza vaccine takes about two weeks to provide adequate protection against influenza infection. An influenza vaccine may cause some side effects, and you should become familiar with these before getting it. Report to your doctor any side effects that concern you.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Who should get a flu vaccine?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Everyone six months of age or older should receive the flu vaccine each year. If you have a baby you...
When should my child get a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
In the United States, the recommended pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine for children is called DTaP...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?