What should I know about the pertussis vaccine before my baby receives it?

You should know that the bacterium bordetella pertussis causes a respiratory tract infection called whooping cough, and that whooping cough can be a serious illness in young children, leading to bronchitis and pneumonia. Your child should receive four or five injections of DTaP (a trio of vaccines for diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus) before the age of seven. You should make careful note of your child's reaction to the inoculation, such as developing a fever, nonstop crying (longer than 3 hours), etc. If your child has a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine he should not receive it again. If your child suffers from encephalitis, or any other nervous system ailment within a week of receiving the inoculation, he should not receive the pertussis vaccine again.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Why is it important for seniors to get a pneumococcal vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Pneumococcal bacteria can cause many types of illnesses, including pneumonia, ear infections, mening...
How does the flu shot prevent me from getting the flu?
When you receive a flu vaccine, your body thinks it has contracted a mild case of the illness, and i...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?