What should I know about the DTaP-IPV vaccine?

Before you immunize your child with the DTaP-IPV vaccine, you need to be aware of side effects, drug interactions, possible complications and when to contact your doctor for help. This vaccine is not approved for older individuals, only for children  four to six years of age. This combination is used as the fifth (last) dose of the DTaP series and the fourth (last) dose of the IPV series.

It is important to tell your doctor if your child has any other medical conditions, especially if they suffer from any of the following:

• high fever
  • brain disease or neurologic disorders, including seizures
  • Guillain-Barre syndrome
  • immunodeficiency or weakened immune system
  • allergies to any of the vaccine's ingredients, including neomycin, polymyxin B and latex
  • serious reactions to vaccine with pertussis
  • viral infections
  • any other moderate to severe illness

Notify your doctor if your child has any side effects from the vaccine. It is always important to let your doctor know what other medications your child is taking, including over-the-counter remedies and supplements, before receiving a vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Who should not get the flu vaccine?
There are some people who should not be vaccinated with injected influenza vaccine, according to the...
When should I get a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine if I am pregnant?
Expectant mothers should get one dose of Tdap during each pregnancy, preferably at 27 through 36 wee...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?