What is the pneumococcal vaccine?

The pneumococcal vaccine is a prescription drug and its active ingredients are a mixture 7, 13 or 23 of the most prevalent bacteria which may cause pneumonia. In the Unites States, pneumococcal vaccine is sold under the brand names Pneumovax 23, Prevnar and Prevnar 13. The pneumococcal vaccine immunizes against infection caused by the bacteria found in the vaccine by helping the body to make  protective substances or antibodies against the bacteria. Pneumococcal vaccine comes in an injectable solution and is recommended for children above the age of two and adults; particularly adults suffering from chronic illnesses.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?