What is the DTaP vaccine?

The DTaP vaccine is a vaccination given against diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis (whooping cough). This vaccine is part of the scheduled vaccines for children up to the age of seven. The Td (tetanus-diphtheria) and Tdap (tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis) are vaccines for similar protection given to adolescents and adults. 
DTaP is a combination immunizing agent containing diphtheria toxoid (the childrens dose), tetanus toxoid and acellular pertussis vaccine. The vaccine, in a series of five doses, is administered by intramuscular (IM) injection to protect children from diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis infections. It causes the body to produce antibodies to the bacteria that cause the infections. This vaccine is intended for children age six weeks to six years years of age, and is not approved for adults or older persons.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Why should I get a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine if I am pregnant?
CDC recommends that pregnant women receive the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine called Tdap during...
How does the flu shot prevent me from getting the flu?
When you receive a flu vaccine, your body thinks it has contracted a mild case of the illness, and i...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?