What is the oral poliovirus vaccine?

The oral poliovirus vaccine is administered for immunization against poliomyelitis (polio). The vaccine contains a small amount of the poliovirus, which prompts the body to produce antibodies against the virus. The vaccine is produced using kidney cell culture from monkeys, which is purified. The vaccine can only be given by a health care professional. Polio immunization is only recommended for infants six to 12 weeks after birth, and to children, young adults, and certain adults who are considered at higher risk of exposure to the virus.

Polio is a serious infection. Although the polio vaccine is no longer produced in the United States, a stockpile of vaccine is maintained for emergency purposes. The vaccine is also available under the brand name Orimune.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?