What is ActHIB?

ActHIB is a brand name for one of the Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccines. Haemophilus influenza type b bacteria can cause serious infection and life-threatening illnesses. Such illnesses include: meningitis, epiglottitis, pericarditis, pneumonia and septic arthritis. These diseases affect all parts of the body: the brain, heart, lungs, joints and bones. Some of these illnesses can lead to death, mental retardation, deafness, seizure disorders or partial blindness. ActHIB is administered four times to infants two to 18 months of age. It is administered by an intramuscular injection in the thigh or upper arm. ActHIB causes the body to develop antibodies to protect it against this bacterium.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?