What are benefits of the varicella vaccine against chickenpox?

The vaccine was developed to prevent childhood chickenpox.  If you never have chickenpox, you don’t carry the dormant virus, which can cause shingles later in life;  however, we don’t know how long immunity from the vaccine lasts.  Since 2000, fewer than 50 people have died from chickenpox each year, with only 6 deaths attributed to chickenpox in 2007. 

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?