Is squalene used in flu shots, and is it safe?

Squalene is not used in the seasonal flu vaccine in the United States. Squalene is what is known as an adjuvant, a substance added to some vaccines to make them work better.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What should I expect after a vaccine shot?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You or your child's arm may feel a little stiff and sore for a few days after a vaccine shot. Th...
What role does the government play in flu vaccine distribution?
Influenza vaccine production and distribution are primarily private sector endeavors. The Department...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?