What are the side effects of Zostavax?

The most common side effects of Zostavax (herpes zoster vaccine) include: swelling, redness or discomfort at the place where you received the shot. This occurs in about a third of all people receiving the vaccine. A headache also may occur in about 1 out of 70 people. Severe side effects include: symptoms of an allergic reaction, such as hives, rash or itchiness; chest tightness; breathing problems; or swelling of your face or mouth. Severe allergic reactions to Zostavax are rare, but if they happen to you, get emergency medical help right away.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
What kind of flu vaccines are there?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Flu vaccines come as a shot or as a nasal spray. Most people can receive the flu shot. People with c...
What is the link between the MMR vaccine and autism?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Some people are concerned that vaccination causes autism. However, there is no scientific evidence l...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?