What should I know about the rotavirus vaccine before my child receives it?

You should know that there are two brands of the oral rotavirus vaccine, Rotarix and RotaTeq. Rotarix is given in a two-dose series during the time between six and 24 weeks of age. RotaTeq is given as a three-dose series during the time between six and 32 weeks of age. The effects of the vaccines on children outside these age ranges have not been studied. Let your doctor know if your child has allergies to any ingredient in the vaccine, a fever, growth problems, blood or stomach disorders or if their immune system is compromised due to disease, cancer or other medications. If your child has had any kind of digestive problem or has had an intussusception, a rare kind of bowel obstruction, talk about it with the doctor before your child receives the vaccine. Since there may be medications that interact with the vaccine, discuss with your doctor any medications, vitamins or other supplements your child might be taking.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Who should get the Tdap vaccine?
Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis, also called Tdap, is a one-time vaccine given in lieu of a s...
What role does the government play in flu vaccine distribution?
Influenza vaccine production and distribution are primarily private sector endeavors. The Department...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?