When does the pneumococcal vaccine PPSV protect me?

If you get the pneumococcal PPSV vaccine, you should be protected within two to three weeks of receiving the shot. If you have an infant or young child, it may take him or her a while longer to be protected. The same is true of the elderly and people with weakened immune systems. Talk to your doctor about the pneumococcal vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Who should get the Tdap vaccine?
Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis, also called Tdap, is a one-time vaccine given in lieu of a s...
Who should get a flu vaccine?
Dr. Margaret L. Payne, MDDr. Margaret L. Payne, MD
Anyone in the high risk group should be vaccinated. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Cente...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?