Is the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine really worth the risk?

The measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is worth the very slight risk of getting it. Without the MMR vaccine the risk of serious disease increases. Measles can lead to ear infection, pneumonia, seizures, brain damage and death. Mumps can lead to deafness, meningitis, painful swelling of the genital organs and, rarely, sterility. If a woman gets rubella while pregnant, she can have a miscarriage or a baby born with serious birth defects. Those risks are all greater than the very slight risks from getting the vaccine.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Should I worry if my son was accidentally given several vaccines twice?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
I would not be concerned. There are times when a child may get an extra vaccine dose. For example, s...
Are influenza vaccines safe for pregnant women?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Not only are influenza vaccines safe for pregnant women, it is highly recommended that pregnant wome...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?