Is the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine really worth the risk?

The measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is worth the very slight risk of getting it. Without the MMR vaccine the risk of serious disease increases. Measles can lead to ear infection, pneumonia, seizures, brain damage and death. Mumps can lead to deafness, meningitis, painful swelling of the genital organs and, rarely, sterility. If a woman gets rubella while pregnant, she can have a miscarriage or a baby born with serious birth defects. Those risks are all greater than the very slight risks from getting the vaccine.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Which adults need the mumps, measles, and rubella (MMR) vaccination?
Anyone born during or after 1957 who has not had measles or been vaccinated is at risk and should ge...
When should my child get a flu vaccine?
If your child is at risk of contracting influenza either because you or his caregivers are, or he is...
When should my child get a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
In the United States, the recommended pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine for children is called DTaP...
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?