What is the link between the MMR vaccine and autism?

Some people are concerned that vaccination causes autism. However, there is no scientific evidence linking vaccinations with autism. In fact, the initial report originally published in England describing the link between the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine was refuted by large-scale studies and eventually retracted by the journal. The notion of the link arose from the coincidental timeline of autism development. The disease tends to emerge around the timeline that the MMR vaccine is given, thus creating a perceived link. The absence of this link has been confirmed by metadata (an aggregation of major studies over a period of time), effectively closing the case on this misinformation.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Should I worry if my son was accidentally given several vaccines twice?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
I would not be concerned. There are times when a child may get an extra vaccine dose. For example, s...
Who should get the Tdap vaccine?
The Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine is recommended for everyone 11 years and older,...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?