What should I know about Prevnar 13 before receiving it?

Before receiving Prevnar 13 (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine) you should be aware of the efficacy, safety and proper administration of this vaccine. Although there is an elevated risk of fever after Prevnar administration, other risks associated with the drug are generally no more threatening than risks associated with other childhood vaccines. These data are based upon the results of clinical studies conducted on the vaccine in the United States. Because Prevnar is a relatively new vaccine (introduced in 2010), data are not yet available regarding its long-term effects. Overall, Prevnar has excellent efficacy rates ranging from 89%-97%. Although it is approved for use up to nine years of age, it is recommended that Prevnar not be routinely given to children over five years of age.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Should I get a flu shot while I'm pregnant?
If you're pregnant, you should consider getting a flu vaccine. Pregnancy causes changes in the heart...
When should my child get a flu vaccine?
If your child is at risk of contracting influenza either because you or his caregivers are, or he is...
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?