What should I know about Fluzone before using it?

Fluzone is administered as an intramuscular injection. It is for preventative purposes only and will not cure symptoms that already are present. Fluzone does not contain live viruses and will not cause you to contract the flu. It will not protect you against all influenza virus strains. Tell your doctor if you have allergies to medicines, foods or other substances. If you are allergic to eggs, chicken, rubber, latex or thimerosal, your doctor should be informed. Before you receive Fluzone, your doctor should be informed if you have a recent history of any of the following: fever, cold, respiratory tract infections; other infections or illnesses; asthma or other breathing problems; nervous system disorders; or bleeding disorders (such as hemophilia or low blood platelet levels). If you have cancer or immune system conditions, such as HIV, Fluzone's effectiveness may be compromised. Let your doctor know if you are receiving radiation treatment or chemotherapy or if you have a history of Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
How does flu vaccine availability work?
Influenza vaccine production begins as early as 6-9 months before the beginning of vaccine distribut...
What are some chemical additives in vaccines?
Vaccines contain chemicals for three main reasons: to inactivate a virus or bacteria, to reduce ...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?