What should I know about diphtheria CRM197 protein conjugate?

Before you receive the diphtheria CRM197 protein conjugate vaccine, you need to be aware of what to look for in side effects, drug interactions, and possible complications, and when to contact your doctor for help. There may be risks associated with having this vaccine during pregnancy. Studies on animals have shown adverse effects on the fetus in all trimesters. However, there have not been adequate studies in pregnant women that have received the diphtheria CRM197 protein conjugate vaccine. It is always important you tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding.

It is important to tell your doctor if you have Guillain-Barre syndrome, as this vaccine may cause symptoms of that syndrome to return. Also, any disease, such as HIV or cancer, that creates a weakened immune system may cause the vaccine to be much less effective. It is also important to note to your doctor if you have a family history of blood clotting problems.

It is recommended that children between the ages of two months and five years receive this vaccine; but it can also be used in adults that have certain medical conditions. Adequate testing of children less than two months old has not been done.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Why is it important for seniors to get a pneumococcal vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Pneumococcal bacteria can cause many types of illnesses, including pneumonia, ear infections, mening...
Who should get the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
Pertussis (whooping cough) vaccines are recommended for children, adolescents, and adults, including...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?