Is there a vaccine for cholera?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Some vaccines for cholera exist, but not in the United States. The current vaccines do not give full protection against cholera. Health authorities in the United States do not recommend the use of cholera vaccines.

There are two types of cholera vaccinations available, but neither has been approved for use in the United States, where the disease is rare. They're given by mouth (orally), and are safe and effective.

Cholera is very dangerous -- it can kill within hours if it isn't treated. It is an acute diarrheal infection. People with low immunity because of malnourishment or HIV infection are at greater risk of death if they are infected with the disease.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
How does flu vaccine availability work?
Influenza vaccine production begins as early as 6-9 months before the beginning of vaccine distribut...
Is the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine really worth the risk?
The measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine is worth the very slight risk of getting it. Without th...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?