Should I stay away from my newborn grandchild if I take Zostavax?

It is safe to be around infants and young children, pregnant women or people with weakened immune systems after you get the Zostavax vaccine to prevent shingles. No cases of someone catching chicken pox from a person who has received the Zostavax vaccine have been reported. Some people who get the Zostavax vaccine develop a chicken pox-like rash near the spot on their arm where they got their shot. To be safe, this rash should be covered until it disappears.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
What should I do after a serious reaction to a flu vaccine?
If you have had a serious reaction to a seasonal influenza vaccine, call a doctor, or get to a docto...
Why should seniors get the tetanus with pertussis (Tdap) vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
The tetanus with pertussis (Tdap) vaccine is usually given as a series in childhood, but the effect ...
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?