If I am pregnant, is it safe to take Smallpox vaccine?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Women who are pregnant should not get the smallpox vaccine. It does not seem to cause birth defects, but the fetus may become infected. If you are breastfeeding, you also should not get the vaccine. It is also recommended that children under the age of 12 months should not be vaccinated.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Why does the flu vaccine not cover all the circulating flu strains?
Henrico Doctors' Hospital  - HCA VirginiaHenrico Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
It is not uncommon to find a partial mismatch between vaccine strains and circulating strains. Vacci...
Who should get a flu vaccine?
Dr. Margaret L. Payne, MDDr. Margaret L. Payne, MD
Anyone in the high risk group should be vaccinated. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Cente...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?