If I have had shingles, will Zostavax help me from getting it again?

Zostavax (the vaccine to prevent shingles) has been studied only in people who were 60 years of age and older and had not contracted shingles. So information is not available about the use of Zostavax in preventing another episode of shingles in someone who had already had the disease. It is unlikely that you will get shingles a second time, because having the virus once boosts your body's immune response to it.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Why is it important for seniors to get a pneumococcal vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Pneumococcal bacteria can cause many types of illnesses, including pneumonia, ear infections, mening...
How do flu vaccines work?
Flu vaccines (the flu shot and the nasal-spray flu vaccine) cause antibodies to develop in the body....
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?