How does the Japanese encephalitis vaccine work?

The Japanese encephalitis vaccine (IXIARO) works by helping the body to produce antibodies against the Japanese encephalitis virus, which is mainly found in rural Asia and is spread by mosquitoes. Infection with the virus can lead to encephalitis, a swelling of the brain that can cause seizures, neck stiffness, changes in consciousness and coma. Early symptoms may include fever and headache.

The Japanese encephalitis vaccine is recommended for anyone traveling to or living for long periods in areas where the virus is present, as well as those traveling to rural areas and/or participating in outdoor activities near these areas.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
How does the flu shot prevent me from getting the flu?
When you receive a flu vaccine, your body thinks it has contracted a mild case of the illness, and i...
Why should my baby get the rotavirus vaccine?
Your baby should get the rotavirus vaccine because rotavirus is the most common cause of serious dia...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?