How is Cervarix given?

Cervarix is a vaccine that is given as an injection in a three-dose series. The first dose is followed by a second dose one to two months later, and the third dose is given six months after the initial dose. This vaccine protects against certain types of human papillomavirus (HPV), a sexually-transmitted virus that can cause genital warts and certain cancers, such as cervical cancer, vaginal cancer and vulvar cancer. The vaccine is normally given to girls and women ages 10 to 25. It is effective only if they have not been exposed to HPV types 16 and 18.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?