How effective is Gardasil?

Human papillomavirus (HPV) consists of over 100 different types and 30 of them can be passed sexually. Although Gardasil can only protect against four types, types 6 and 11 can cause up to 90 percent of genital warts, and types 16 and 18 can cause up to 70 percent of all cervical cancers. This makes Gardasil quite effective in preventing these viral infections in young women and men. Studies show that close to 100 percent of young women who had never been infected with HPV before receiving the Gardasil series were completely protected against cervical lesions that can cause cancer. In young men, Gardasil can prevent up to 90 percent of genital warts that are caused by these types of HPV.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?