Should my child receive Prevnar 13 if they have compromised immunity?

Children with compromised immunity from conditions, such as sickle cell disease, HIV, cardiac and pulmonary disease, diabetes, cancer and kidney conditions are at the greatest risk for infection from S. pneumoniae bacteria. Therefore, Prevnar 13 (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine) vaccination is highly recommended for these children. Prevnar vaccination is generally recommended as early as possible (prior to 23 months of age) for all children, since early vaccination provides the greatest risk reduction for S. pneumoniae infection. For children 24 to 59 months of age with compromised immunity, two doses of Prevnar 13 scheduled two months apart are recommended, followed by a dose of PPV23 vaccine.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Why do I need the flu vaccine every year?
The influenza virus changes its genetic makeup every year. That's why you can get the flu every year...
When should I get a flu vaccine?
The best time to get a flu vaccine is between September and December, before flu season really peaks...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?