Can I get a flu shot if I have heart disease?

Overall, the influenza vaccine is recommended (in the shot form only, not the intranasal spray) for all heart disease patients. However, some people do have an allergic reaction to the flu shot. Anyone who has had a severe reaction to the flu vaccine in the past, including Guillain-Barré syndrome, should not receive the shot. The flu shot can also trigger a reaction in patients who are allergic to chicken eggs.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) generally recommends the flu vaccine for people who have heart disease and other chronic medical conditions that put them at increased risk for complications if they catch the flu.

Getting the flu vaccine may help prevent flu-related worsening of heart disease symptoms, too. However, the intranasal flu vaccine is not recommended for people who have heart disease or other long-term medical conditions, including lung disease, diabetes, asthma, kidney or liver disease and blood disorders. The CDC recommends they get a flu shot instead.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Can I get influenza from the influenza vaccine?
A flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The viruses contained in flu shots are inactivated (killed), wh...
When should I call the doctor after a vaccine?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
After a vaccine, call or go to the doctor or clinic for: High fever or long-lasting feverSeizures...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?