Can I get a flu shot if I have heart disease?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) generally recommends the flu vaccine for people who have heart disease and other chronic medical conditions that put them at increased risk for complications if they catch the flu.

Getting the flu vaccine may help prevent flu-related worsening of heart disease symptoms, too. However, the intranasal flu vaccine is not recommended for people who have heart disease or other long-term medical conditions, including lung disease, diabetes, asthma, kidney or liver disease and blood disorders. The CDC recommends they get a flu shot instead.
Overall, the influenza vaccine is recommended (in the shot form only, not the intranasal spray) for all heart disease patients. However, some people do have an allergic reaction to the flu shot. Anyone who has had a severe reaction to the flu vaccine in the past, including Guillain-Barré syndrome, should not receive the shot. The flu shot can also trigger a reaction in patients who are allergic to chicken eggs.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Vaccine

Vaccine

Vaccines work to protect your body against germs. Because of vaccines, many of the diseases that can cause severe sickness, handicaps and death have been eradicated. Learn more from our experts about vaccines.