What are the side effects of varicella virus vaccine?

Common side effects of varicella virus vaccine include: skin changes or pain at the site of the injection, slight rash and fever. These generally do not need a doctor's visit unless they become severe. More serious side effects include: severe skin reactions or color change, change in skin sensation, seizures, serious headaches, unexpected bruises, abnormal bleeding and a rash that looks like chicken pox. If you receive the varicella virus vaccine and experience these or other worrisome side effects, call your doctor right away. If you or your child has any signs of serious allergic reaction, such as labored breathing, chest pain or swelling of the face, get emergency medical help right away.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Why should seniors get the tetanus with pertussis (Tdap) vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
The tetanus with pertussis (Tdap) vaccine is usually given as a series in childhood, but the effect ...
Should pregnant women get the Tdap vaccine?
Pregnant women should get the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine to help protect their...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?