Does the DTaP vaccine interact with any medications?

It is important to tell your doctor if your child has had any treatments in the previous two weeks before getting the DTaP vaccine that may have weakened their immune system. Such treatments could include: the use of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressive agents; medications to treat psoriasis, arthritis or other autoimmune disorders; medicines to prevent transplant rejection. It is generally allowed for your child to take an aspirin-free, nonsteroidal pain reliever, such as Advil or Tylenol after vaccination, for a fever or pain, but check with your doctor before doing so. It is possible other interactions may occur, so tell your doctor about any medications your child is taking, including over-the-counter and herbal supplements.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Can I get influenza from the influenza vaccine?
A flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The viruses contained in flu shots are inactivated (killed), wh...
How do flu vaccines work?
Flu vaccines (the flu shot and the nasal-spray flu vaccine) cause antibodies to develop in the body....
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?