What is diphtheria CRM197 protein conjugate?

Diphtheria CRM197 protein conjugate, an active immunizing agent (brand name HibTITER) is a prescription drug used to protect individuals from the haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) infection. Hib infections can cause life-threatening illnesses such as meningitis, epiglottitis, pericarditis, pneumonia, and septic arthritis.

This vaccine is specifically prepared with a diphtheria-related substance. The drug is given by injection directly into the muscle and causes the body to produce antibodies to attack the organism causing the infection.

This vaccine is recommended for children ages two months to five years, or for adults that have certain medical conditions. You should discuss the risks and benefits of taking diphtheria CRM197 protein conjugate with your doctor before getting the immunization for yourself or your child.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
Dr. Diane Harper - How long do human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines protect against infection?