Can I take the FluMist Intranasal flu vaccine if I have multiple sclerosis?

Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel did not recommend its use for the 2016-2017 flu season. 

The flu vaccine is safe and effective for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). It is recommended annually for those who are susceptible to flu, likely to be exposed to flu, or who have respiratory problems or certain chronic disorders. Importantly, FluMist Intranasal, the first flu vaccine in the U.S. that is administered as a nasal mist, is not recommended for people with MS. FluMist is a live-virus vaccine that may cause an increase in disease activity in those with MS.

Continue Learning about Vaccine