Can the flu shot infect me with a virus?

Peter M. Lefevre, MD
The flu shot cannot infect you with a virus because the injectable form is an inactivated or “killed” virus to avoid causing the infection. In some cases, it can produce a minor immune response in the first 24-to-48 hours, including low-grade fever and muscle pain, as the immune system develops antibodies against the flu – but that is nothing compared to the potentially severe and life-threatening symptoms of the flu itself.

This content originally appeared online at UCLA Health.
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

The flu shot cannot infect you with a virus because it does not contain a live virus. What the flu shot does is train your body to fight off the influenza virus if you are exposed.

After a flu shot, you may feel a mild elevation in your temperature or some soreness in the arm at the injection site. Moving your arm will help with the soreness.

The flu shot cannot infect you with a virus. The shot contains viruses that have been killed and therefore have no ability to infect your body. Flu vaccine manufacturers also test their products for safety.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Back-to-School Vaccinations All Preteens and Teens Need
Vaccinations are something to shine a light on as your adolescents head back to school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has the f...
Who should get the pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine?
Your child should get the pertussis vaccine if he/she is under seven years old. Even if your child h...
Should pregnant women get the Tdap vaccine?
Pregnant women should get the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) vaccine to help protect their...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?