Are there generic influenza vaccines?

Better known as flu shots, influenza vaccines are made by various manufacturers and available under the manufacturer's brand name for the vaccine. Currently, there are no generic forms of influenza vaccines available in the U.S. The vaccine comes in two forms: a shot or a nose spray. The flu shot contains inactive viruses and is approved for people age 6 months and older. FluMist, the nasal spray flu vaccine, contains a live virus and is approved for healthy people aged 2 to 49. [Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel did not recommend its use for the 2016-2017 flu season.] Flu vaccines are given before cold and flu season hits, around late October or early November.
At this time there are no generic influenza vaccines approved for use in the United States. The FDA controls and monitors the supply of flu vaccine that is available. Only certain companies are allowed to produce it, and they do so under their own brand names.

Continue Learning about Vaccine

Hawaii Health Alert: Why You Probably Need the Tdap Shot
You put in the extra effort to keep your kids and grandkids healthy—you make sure they get nutritious meals, safe toys and regular checkups. But the g...
How do flu vaccines work?
Flu vaccines (the flu shot and the nasal-spray flu vaccine) cause antibodies to develop in the body....
Does the flu vaccine work immediately after I am vaccinated?
The flu vaccine does not work immediately after you are vaccinated. This varies somewhat from person...
Dr. Diane Harper - How do I protect myself from human papillomavirus (HPV)?