Why may I need to get a Rubella vaccination if I'm pregnant?

Rubella causes slight fever, rash and swelling of the glands in the neck; can cause brain swelling or bleeding; if a pregnant woman contracts rubella, it can cause miscarriage or put her baby at high risk for neurological problems that resemble autism or life-threatening birth defects involving loss of brain, hearing, cardiac and endocrine function. If you're considering getting pregnant in the future and were not vaccinated for rubella in the past, it's a good idea to get your vaccine as soon as posible, since you must have it more than 3 months before becoming pregnant.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines and Herd Immunity: What You Need to Know
Outbreaks of vaccination-controllable diseases are spreading. When the number of measles cases hit 30 in Clark Country, Washington, in December 2019,...
How can vaccine-preventable diseases cause a financial burden for a family?
A child who gets a disease that could have have been prevented with a vaccination may have to miss s...
What do I need to vaccinate my child for diseases that only exist overseas?
You may have never seen a case of polio or diphtheria, but they still occur in other countries. All ...
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?