Why may I need to get a Rubella vaccination if I'm pregnant?

Rubella causes slight fever, rash and swelling of the glands in the neck; can cause brain swelling or bleeding; if a pregnant woman contracts rubella, it can cause miscarriage or put her baby at high risk for neurological problems that resemble autism or life-threatening birth defects involving loss of brain, hearing, cardiac and endocrine function. If you're considering getting pregnant in the future and were not vaccinated for rubella in the past, it's a good idea to get your vaccine as soon as posible, since you must have it more than 3 months before becoming pregnant.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

France Just Made 11 Childhood Vaccines Mandatory
Starting in 2018, French children will be legally required to complete 11 vaccines. That includes the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), polio and meni...
Do the benefits of vaccinations outweigh the risks?
Yes, all of the research data indicates that the benefits from vaccinations greatly outweigh the pot...
Why are vaccinations necessary early in life?
Vaccinations are necessary early in life to limit the spread of disease among the young. Vaccination...
Is There a Vaccine for Prostate Cancer?
Is There a Vaccine for Prostate Cancer?