Why may I need to get a Rubella vaccination if I'm pregnant?

Rubella causes slight fever, rash and swelling of the glands in the neck; can cause brain swelling or bleeding; if a pregnant woman contracts rubella, it can cause miscarriage or put her baby at high risk for neurological problems that resemble autism or life-threatening birth defects involving loss of brain, hearing, cardiac and endocrine function. If you're considering getting pregnant in the future and were not vaccinated for rubella in the past, it's a good idea to get your vaccine as soon as posible, since you must have it more than 3 months before becoming pregnant.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines & Immunizations

Vaccines are commonly given to children in the form of a shot to help prevent serious diseases like measles and mumps. Vaccines are developed using either dead strains of a disease, weakened strains, or strains of a different dise...

ase. As adults, we receive flu vaccines or may need a booster of childhood vaccines to retain immunity. Travelers may receive vaccines either as a condition of entry to a country, or on recommendation of health officials. Generally there is little or no reaction to a vaccine, but in some cases the vaccine may cause an allergic reaction or a temporary, mild illness. Some vaccines are not safe for pregnant women, so it’s important to check with a healthcare professional.