Why is it important to keep my child's immunizations up to date?

Even though the United States experiences outbreaks of some vaccine-preventable diseases, the spread of disease usually slows or stops because of immunization. If we stopped vaccinating, even the few cases we have in this country could very quickly become tens or hundreds of thousands of cases.

Fortunately, most parents choose to vaccinate their children and immunization rates in this country are at or near record high levels. In fact, fewer than 1% of children do not receive any vaccines. However, some children have not received all of their vaccines and therefore are not fully immunized. It's important that children receive all doses of the vaccines according to the recommended immunization schedule by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Not receiving all doses of a vaccine leaves a child vulnerable to catching serious diseases.

That's why it's important to make sure that your children are up to date on their immunizations. Call your pediatrician to find out if your child is due for any vaccinations. Or you can use online tools to enter your child's current record and quickly see if any doses have been skipped or missed. It is important to your child's health to stay up to date on immunizations.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Measles: No Longer Eradicated in the United States
Here’s one for the-you-can’t-believe-it-until-you-see-it department: There’s a children’s book called Melanie’s Marvelous Measles by an anti-vaccinati...
Can vaccines be contaminated with infectious agents that cause diseases?
Vaccines are made under very strict standards and it is extremely rare for them to be contaminated. ...
What is a subunit vaccine?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Whereas some vaccines use the whole microbe, subunit vaccines use only those parts of the microb...
Can a Flu Shot Help Protect My Heart Health?