What do I need to vaccinate my child for diseases that only exist overseas?

You may have never seen a case of polio or diphtheria, but they still occur in other countries. All it takes is a plane ride for these diseases to arrive in your community. One example is measles. Measles is not very common in the United States anymore due to vaccination, but it is still common in many parts of the world. The disease is brought into the United States by unvaccinated travelers who are infected while abroad. After reaching this country, measles can spread quickly among unvaccinated people. This year, the United States is experiencing a record number of reported measles cases. Many of these cases have been associated with people who got infected while in the Philippines, where a large outbreak is happening. Most of the measles cases in the United States occurred in people who were not vaccinated, or whose vaccination status was unknown.

Continue Learning about Vaccines & Immunizations

Are Researchers Working on a More Effective Type of Vaccine?
Can I Get Influenza From the Influenza Vaccine?
Dr. Robin Miller, Where Do You Stand In the Vaccine Debate?
What Is Thimerosal?
What Is Thimerosal?